Friday 25 October 2013

What I'm Into: Friends' Kickstarters

Crowd-funding waxes and wanes in public mythology. The drama around Double Fine's first Kickstarter run with the $1M raised in 24 hours seems like so long ago now. I remember everyone crying from the rooftops how crowd-funding would democratize development and change the world. Then a few years later, the moaning - handfuls of high-profile failures and a myriad of slipped dates, with Double Fine like the cherry on top coming in tremendously over-budget and over-deadline just like any other AAA project.

There was a period of saturation, with everyone and their dog asking for money, and then a period of ambivalence as indie creators and punters alike realized crowd campaigns were not a universal salve or automatic ticket to funding.

I don't have any data to support this feeling (there's your first bullshit flag) but it seems to me that crowd-funding is only now reaching a period of maturity - fewer copycat or on-the-fly campaigns, more infrastructure for manufacturing and delivery - and that's pretty cool.

I've backed 2 campaigns in the last month that I want to share, both games, both by friends/acquaintances, and both fully funded within the first few days:

Dreaming Spires




Jeremy's Oxford-themed board game is rich in history, characters and a gorgeously scholastic aesthetic. They say "write what you know" and as Jez is an Oxford alum and consummate board game geek, Dreaming Spires most certainly comes from an authentic (and well-researched!) place. It also looks fun to play - strategically building a college up from the medieval era, attracting scholars and competing in historical Oxford events? I can get into that!

Everyone who knows me as game developer also knows "I hate games" - especially board games, which I perceive as a hindrance of social gatherings. I'm decidedly a single-player gamer. At parties I prefer to, you know, talk about shit and drink alcohol.

Jez has often assured me you can do both while playing board games, as has Gracie, but I've never quite been sold. However, Dreaming Spires appeals to me in a way other games haven't due to the solid biographical emphasis on characters. I can get attached to characters. They are the heart of storytelling for me. I may not be interested in leading a faceless army or civilization but I want to attract Oscar Wilde to my college, damn it!

Also interesting about this project is that it's being run in partnership with board game publisher Game Salute, veterans of the Kickstarter business. To me this is a fascinating signal of the maturity of the crowd-funding platform - indies working with publisher support for logistics, especially in a physical goods space like board games, just makes sense.

Night In The Woods




From Alec Holowka of the venerable Indie House back home in Vancouver comes an adventure game that I actually want to play. Plus, it is beautiful.

Everyone seems to be into adventure games nostalgia. For many years I thought I was too - until I realized most people's nostalgia, adventures and fantasies didn't match mine. I crave new game worlds where I can explore aimlessly, with deep characterization to immerse myself in. I don't give a shit about puzzles or normal "game stuff" which is perhaps why I enjoyed Sworcery so profoundly while none of my gamer mates rated it. I love it when the mundane aspects of life are reflected in alternate universes. I am one of those people who relished every moment of waiting for the bus to my forklift job in the original Shenmue for Dreamcast.

So Night In The Woods looks well up my alley. In some ways it reminds me of Cheap Thrills the webcomic - except with mystery. I'm really drawn to all of the character concepts and designs, the world aesthetic, and the fact that the main character is female and that her femaleness seems to be of absolutely zero consequence. (That she looks like a punk cat and is therefore totally unsexualized may help on this front.) Also, I love things that are darkly, hopelessly sarcastic and I love to play bass and break stuff.

There is a lot for me to potentially love about Night In The Woods. But even if the game doesn't turn out precisely how I'm envisioning it, I'm happy I can do my small part to support some artists I respect to create work of their own imagining. And maybe that's the real point of crowd-funding in the end.


Have you backed anything recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment