Tuesday 16 July 2013

Embrace the Job Hop


The company I moved to England to work for has closed their UK operations. This picture is still on the top of their corporate jobs page.

While I'm gutted for my friends and colleagues who have been made redundant, it wasn't altogether unexpected. Over 25% of the folks in the photo above had already left at the time of the closure announcement - myself included.

Leaving the company that relocated me to the UK was a difficult decision, though with hindsight a good and obvious one.

Part of what made quitting tough was the multitude of warnings and lectures about Gen Y job hopping, and I'm not just talking from my Dad. The idea still exists that frequent job-switching somehow marks you as "disloyal". Since when were employees noble ship captains, expected to hang on through bad pivots, icebergs and apathy until they are given fat severance packages?

Ignoring the obvious anachronism (loyalty? employment? psh!), it seems the scales have been quietly tipping in the favour of those of us with long CVs for a while now. Wouldn't you know, diversifying your network may be the key to career stability in a hostile work climate and that it's actually better for your career to cut losses and stay passionate while you are relatively young and still figuring out your best fit.

And yet somehow, I'm aching to find a place to settle down. Though I have never lost a job, I've had 4 positions at 4 different companies in the last 4 years. If job hopping is like dating, I'm a serial monogamist and I am well ready to put a ring on it.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the ways in which changing jobs has helped my career. I've travelled the world and had a wide range of opportunities, experienced the difference between big multinationals, tiny 3-person start ups, and growing companies in between. I've written code and written specs, had a taste of managing people, products and projects, and learned a tremendous amount in the process - not least about who I am as a professional. I have a much better understanding of my own strengths, weaknesses and interests than I did as a new grad. And I'm still learning heaps every day.

But now that I know a lot more than I did at 22, isn't it time to hunker down for the long run?

This is a particularly raw question for those of us who've grown up in the games industry - a machine renowned for both burning out talent and ruthlessly firing the rest in the short gaps between development cycles.

I've worked in games a mere 6 years, which is actually a lifetime, if you consider the traditional game developer career length averages around 5. My current job is the furthest from games I've ever been and while that's a topic for another post, I do wonder if the cyclical and disruptive nature of the games industry will ever lend itself toward long careers - for employees or founders.

In the meantime I wish my ex-colleagues luck in their job hunts - been writing a lot of recommendations and referrals lately - and encourage them to embrace the job hop! A change is as good as a rest - and a hell of a lot better than stagnation.

1 comment:

  1. I am on the flip side of things, in a position where longevity and stability is the only thing that is good about this job. I am also in the position of not having to take my work home with it. But because I went to school and had a job that put me in a permanent workaholic mode, I am always frantic and holding onto as many personal projects as I can. To the point where it's just work. So what's wrong with me? Haha. For the first time ever, I am analyzing how I maintain my health...


    ... BUT at the same time, there is a lot to be said about gaining some form of fulfilment - I used to feel like I needed to get it from work but that ship has sailed if I am going to stay in my current position. Anyway, I wish I could job hop but everyone is just on contracts. I got a call for a job UPGRADE but for a 3 month contract. I don't think I'd like to leave my secure means of living in exchange for 3 months of wankery.

    Sorry this was long and I don't even think it's relevant to your post anymore, haha. In either case, I am excited on what your position is giving you and I hope it's a good candidate to stay in. Unless you get bored - you smart, talented types don't seem to like being in one place for too long! ;)

    ReplyDelete